Love to go traveling, hiking, or cycling, but don’t want to leave your cat behind? Take her along on your trek with a cat-friendly backpack. She’ll get to snuggle up close to you while enjoying the sights and sounds. A pet backpack provides your cat necessary ventilation, security, and a large viewing range.
We’ve reviewed dozens of cat backpacks to identify the best, highest-quality, cat backpack at any budget, based on factors such as size, quality of materials, Amazon ratings, and other considerations. We narrowed our search down to five of the top-rated backpacks that are on the market today.
We’ve identified the Anzone Pet Portable Carrier Space Capsule Backpack as the best backpack overall. While it’s a little pricier than some of our backpack picks, it’s made from eco-friendly polycarbonate and oxford cloth, provides generous space, and has a semi-sphere transparent window. These features, coupled with the fact that it’s extra comfortable to wear, make it an excellent choice for smart cat owners.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Best Outdoor Cat Backpacks
|Best Overall||Anzone Pet Portable Carrier Space Capsule Backpack||4.4|
|Runner Up||Petsfit Comfort Dogs Carriers Backpack||4.6|
|Best Budget Buy||PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier Backpack||4.3|
|Best Bubble Backpack||AntTech Breathable Pet Travel Backpack||4.5|
|Best Cat Carrier Bag||PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Tip Pick: Anzone Pet Portable Carrier Space Capsule Backpack
If you’re looking for a cat backpack that you can take anywhere, look no further than the Anzone Pet Portable Carrier Space Capsule Backpack. This backpack features a durable waterproof outer shell made of high-quality, scratch-resistant polycarbonate to keep your pet dry on a rainy day. The inside of the carrier is lined with the softest Oxford cloth and features a washable soft pad on the bottom so your pet stays comfortable. The semi-sphere transparent window gives your pet a wide range of vision.
Padded back and “S” shoulder straps help relieve the pressure to your back and make the carrier a breeze to wear for long stretches of time. The built-in elastic leash prevents your cat from running away if she gets too curious. Reviewers love being able to walk around knowing their cat is safe and secure and can see the outside world. They also claim it’s cat-approved, even by their kitties who dislike other carriers.
Anzone Pet Space Capsule Backpack Key Features:
- Measuring 13 inches in length, 5.7 inches in width and 16 inches in height, it provides a roomy fit for cats under ten pounds
- Ergonomic design keeps the pressure off your cervical and lumbar spine so you can effortlessly wear the backpack for hours
- Transparent window eases anxiety and allows your pet to enjoy the outdoor scenery
- Eco-friendly polycarbonate and durable oxford cloth provide a comfortable and breathable environment for your cat
- Adjustable padded shoulder straps
- Mesh pocket for storage
- Built-in fixed hook to keep your pet safe
- Ventilation holes
- Four washable pads
Our Runner-Up Pick: Petsfit Comfort Backpack
The Petsfit Comfort Backpack is an amazing option for your pet. It’s durable, light, and comfortable to wear with almost no strain on your back due to its ergonomic design. The mesh sides allow for well-ventilated rides and allow your pet to see freely on either side. The top window opens up to form an enclosed tent so your curious cat can poke her head up and look around. The top also zips completely open so your pet can put her head outside of the carrier. It includes one tether inside to secure your cat. It is meant to be worn as a backpack but also features a handle so you can carry it similarly to a carrier bag.
Reviewers love that this backpack has both a chest clip and a waist strap to keep it stable while walking, hiking and cycling. Reviewers also love that the bottom is sturdy and doesn’t collapse under their pet’s weight. It is intended for pets less than 15 pounds and reviewers say it gives their pets plenty of space.
Petsfit Comfort Backpack Key Features:
- Measuring 16 inches high, 10 inches wide, and 13 inches long, it’s a perfect fit for pets less than 15 pounds
- Due to its ergonomic design, it’s light and comfortable to wear
- Mesh sides provide a well-ventilated area and allow your pet to see freely outside
- Includes one tether inside to secure your pet
- Made of high-quality PU & EVA mesh
Best Budget Pick: PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier Backpack
The Pet Magasin Travel Backpack doesn’t sacrifice quality for price.
At just under $24 for a limited time only, the PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier Backpack is a steal. You can use this carrier as a backpack or a regular carrier. It is made of durable, lightweight, and waterproof oxford fabric. It also features panels of tough, breathable mesh that ensure your pet gets plenty of fresh air and can see what’s going on outside the carrier.
The PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier Backpack fits within the dimensions that major airlines allow for carry-on, making it a must-have for travelers. Reviewers love how easy it is to take the carriers on long flights or long hikes. They also love that their pets enjoy it almost as much as themselves.
PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier Backpack Features:
- Measuring 11.5 inches long, 9 inches wide and 16 inches tall, the PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier Backpack is roomy and spacious for your pet
- Includes padded shoulder straps, waist strap, and chest strap
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Fold flat for storage
Best Bubble Backpack: AntTech Breathable Pet Travel Backpack
The AntTech Breathable Pet Backpack lets your pet travel like an astronaut. It features semi-sphere transparent window with a wide range of view that can be replaced with breathable mesh on a nice day. It includes a built-in leash to keep your pet secure, mesh panels on the back, three ventilation holes on the front, a soft velvet washable pad. The carrier opens on the top and side for easy entry. It’s made of high-quality oxford cloth and food grade, and scratch-resistant polycarbonate.
Reviewers love the great design functionality and the fact that it looks really cool. Reviewers also remark how much their cat loves this backpack.
AntTech Breathable Pet Backpack Key Features:
- Measuring 12 inches long, 9 inches wide, and 16.5 inches high and fits cats under 11 pounds
- Built-in elastic security lock prevents your pet from getting out of the carrier
- Transparent cover and mesh panel can be interchanged or removed completely
- Adjustable comfortable padded back and “S” shoulder straps ease pressure on your back
- Waterproof to keep your pet dry on a rainy day
Best Cat Carrier Backpack: PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack
The PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack can be used as both a backpack and a carrier.
If you’re looking for a cat carrier bag and backpack combo, look no further than the PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack. The PetAmi is intended to be used as a backpack, but also has a padded handle on top so it can be carried just like a regular pet carrier. It features a well-ventilated design for optimal airflow for your cat, with a zip-up mesh window for more visibility. The inside is lined with thick, cozy sherpa bedding. The backpack has a firmly reinforced structure that prevents it from collapsing under your pet’s weight. It also provides ample room for your pet to move around and includes a buckle to secure your pet in order to prevent escape. The back and shoulder straps have extra thick padding for added comfort and it even includes waist and chest buckles to give you extra support.
Reviewers love that the carrier is breathable and cool so their pet doesn’t overheat. They also love the extra side and front pockets so they can carry water and treats. The carrier even includes a collapsible water bowl to easily keep your pet hydrated while on the go.
PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack Key Features:
- Measures 12.5 inches long, 10.2 inches wide and 16.3 inches high
- Made with durable 600D high-grade polyester
- Zip-up mesh window for more visibility
- Includes extra-padded back and shoulder straps, waist, and chest straps for extra support
- Lined with thick, cozy sherpa bedding
- Comes in 9 bright colors
Who Should Buy a Cat Backpack
If you like to go on adventures and have a cat at home, a cat backpack is a must for the both of you. With a cat backpack, you’ll never have to leave your pet home when you travel, go for a hike, or take an afternoon bike ride. Your cat can experience the great outdoors and partake in your sense of adventure while getting a chance to bond with you. Many cat backpacks fit the size and regulations of a carry on for most airports. This allows you to keep your cat with you when flying, rather than placing her in an unsafe and often dangerous cargo situation.
Many cat owners also use their backpack to take their pet on routine appointments, such as to the vet or the groomers. Cats seem to prefer the style and comfort of a backpack to that of a regular carrier, so many owners find that they use their backpack for all of their cat’s outings.
Important Features to Consider
A cat backpack should be roomy enough for your cat, provide proper ventilation, and hold your pet securely. Here’s what to consider when selecting a cat backpack:
- Bubble or carrier bag? There are two main types of cat backpacks: bubble and carrier bags. Bubble backpacks feature a hard-shell exterior, typically made of a high-quality polycarbonate, and feature a semi-sphere “bubble” for cats to look out. These backpacks stand the test of time and are extremely durable. They also offer a large viewing area for your pet, while making her feel safe and secure. Carrier bags are typically made of high-quality oxford fabric, which is a thick and durable woven blend. Many of these backpacks can be used as a backpack or as a regular carrier. Carrier bags typically have mesh-covered windows that allow your pet to look out and that provide proper ventilation.
- Size. You’ll want to choose a backpack that gives your pet enough room that she can turn around and stand without crouching. You’ll also want to ensure that the carrier has a sturdy enough bottom to support her weight without collapsing. Most backpacks come with upper limit weight recommendations, such as ten pounds or fifteen pounds, so be sure to weigh your pet before you make a purchase.
- Materials. The cat backpack you choose should be made of durable, quality materials that won’t fall apart during regular use. Always check the stitching and manufacturing along the most pivotal points, including the shoulder straps and bottom of the carrier.
- Security. Your cat backpack should also have some added measures of security to prevent your pet from escaping the carrier. Most backpacks include a tether that you can attach to your pet’s harness or collar to keep them secured in the carrier. If your pet has been known to escape, avoid carriers that open up at the top and choose an option that has mesh or a transparent plastic opening. Cats can squeeze through even small openings, so keep this in mind if you have an escape artist on your hands.
- Ergonomic support. Since you’ll be wearing the backpack for long periods of time, make sure that it is designed to take pressure off of the pressure points at your cervical and lumbar spine. Many backpacks include a chest strap to help distribute the pressure, as well as to help stabilize the backpack so your pet doesn’t get jostled around.
- Proper ventilation. You’ll also want to ensure that your backpack provides proper ventilation for your pet. Most carriers have multiple mesh openings that allow air to pass in and out.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a cat backpack and how is it used?
A cat backpack is a cat carrier that you wear on your back, just like a regular backpack. First, pick up your pet under her front legs, with your other hand supporting her bottom, and place her in the carrier through the entryway (typically located on the top or the side) rear-end first, so she doesn’t feel trapped. Attach the included tether to your cat’s harness or collar to keep her from escaping. Close the door and slowly place the carrier on your back, being sure not to jostle your pet.
What size backpack do I need for my cat?
Your backpack needs to be large enough for your cat to be able to stand without crouching and to be able to turn around. You should also pay attention to the upper-limit weight recommendations of the backpack manufacturer. Be sure to weigh and measure your cat before making a purchase.
Do cat backpacks work well for long trips?
Cat backpacks definitely work well for long trips. Just be sure to choose an ergonomic design that takes some of the pressure off your cervical and lumbar spine and distributes it around your body. A chest strap or a waist strap can help stabilize the carrier for a more comfortable carry.
How can I get my cat used to a backpack?
First, place a few of your cat’s favorite treats in the backpack and leave the entryway open so she can get comfortable going in and out. Once she goes in, you can close the door for a few moments, being sure to give her plenty of praise. When you’re ready to go on an adventure, she’ll already be acclimated to the carrier. Place her in the backpack rear-end first so she doesn’t feel trapped. Give her plenty of praise as you close the door and slowly place the carrier on your back. As you embark, be sure to check on your pet to ensure she’s happy. You might need to make shorter trips in the beginning until your pet becomes more used to the carrier.
Other Cat Backpacks We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other cat backpacks. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best cat backpacks, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your cat. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
The Lemonda backpack features an adorable space capsule design with a transparent window. The Lemonda also allows you to wear the backpack either on your back or in your front.
- Made of canvas and high-density acrylic material
- Includes a built-in lock can prevent your pet from escaping when the bag is open
- Large ventilation holes on the side of the bag promote air circulation to help keep your pet cool and comfortable
The Giantex backpack makes your pet look like she’s going on a space mission. This backpack provides a large space with big air holes and breathable mesh, making comfortable and ventilated for your pet.
- The transparent cover can be replaced with mesh or taken off completely
- Made of high-quality oxford cloth and food grade, scratch-resistant polycarbonate
- Comes in four fun colors
The Best Choice Products backpack provides a spherical viewing portal that gives your pet a protected view of the outside world and includes built-in ventilation holes. It can fit pets up to 11 pounds.
- Mesh pockets on the sides and ample air holes for additional ventilation
- Secured with a heavy-duty zippered enclosure
- Padded carrying straps make long trips more comfortable
The U-pet carrier is a premium bubble backpack. It features a patent-pending, revolutionary semi-sphere window design that allows your pet to view the outside world unobstructed.
- Fits on most airlines as a carry-on
- Has a built-in leash, ventilation holes for breathability, a soft washable pad, and openings on the top and side for entry
- Made of ultra-high-end and sturdy materials
The Pettom backpack is airline approved as a carry-on. It features mesh panels and ventilation holes on the sides, and a soft washable pad for your pet’s comfort.
- Breathable mesh on the sides
- Comes in a wide variety of fun colors
- Padded straps for extra comfort
The HBuir backpack features a unique 3-D diamond cut design. This large-capacity backpack can carry cats up to 18 pounds.
- Semi-sphere bubble makes cats feel safe while viewing the outdoors
- Comfortable and adjustable padded shoulder straps for added comfort
- Both sides of the bag feature breathable mesh cloth for ventilation
The Radiant Pet Supplies backpack is waterproof and durable. It features padded shoulder straps for extra comfort.
- Includes built-in ventilation and a semi-sphere acrylic window panel
- For pets less than 11 pounds
- Come in three colors: gray, green, and yellow
The PetAmi backpack features a ventilated design for optimal airflow, soft cozy sherpa lining bedding for the ultimate comfort, and even a collapsible water bowl to keep your pet hydrated. It comes with both waist and chest buckles for extra support.
- Included side pockets for extra storage capacity
- Safety strap to secure your pet
- Made with durable 600D high-grade polyester
The Ok-Deals backpack is made with extra-soft cationic linen. It features extra padding for the ultimate comfort for your pet.
- Large mesh window for ventilation and visibility
- Padded shoulder straps
- Roomy pockets on both sides for extra storage space
The Pawsee backpack is a soft-sided pet carrier that fits cats up to 15 pounds. The carrier backpack has two entrances on the front and on the top for easy entry.
- Includes added back and shoulder straps and an adjustable waist and chest strap to help to reduce the load from your shoulders and back
- Includes a plush fleece bed, which can be removable for easy cleaning
- Dual zipper closure opening makes pet entry easy
The Pawfect backpack is a soft-sided carrier backpack that measures the largest allowed by most major airlines as a carry-on. The top and front windows are made completely of heavy-duty mesh so your pet has maximum airflow.
- The top window can roll up so your pet can stick their head out
- Includes two removable fleece mats for on-the-go accidents
- Two roomy side pockets carry all of your essentials
The A Cup of Tea backpack features a unique front hole with a drawstring so it can be adjustable according to your pets’ size. The backpack is made from breathable mesh and durable canvas.
- Adjustable padded straps help to reduce the strain on your neck and shoulders
- Pockets on both sides give you room for storage
- Completely washable
The KritterWorld backpack is made out of durable nylon. This backpack features breathable mesh on the front, top and sides for maximum airflow and visibility.
- Airline approved
- Padded shoulder straps for your comfort
- Fits pets up to seven pounds
The OLISS backpack has three carrying modes: over the shoulder, handle carry, and backpack. It comes in a fun and punchy color scheme of red, yellow, and blue.
- Fits cats up to 17 pounds
- Large storage pockets in the front
- Made from eco-friendly canvas
The Mogoko backpack features a front hole with a drawstring that can be adjusted to fit your pet. It features adjustable padded straps and an extendable waist strap to help keep the backpack stable.
- Airline compliant dimensions
- Interior leash prevents your pet from jumping out
- Fits cats from 5.5 to 10 pounds
The Ruri’s backpack is a carrier backpack made from durable polyester. It has a front door and mesh side panels that provide ventilation and visibility.
- Made from extremely durable and easy to clean 600D Polyester
- Features backstitch sewing on all handles and straps
- Can hold pets up to 12lbs
The Mainstreet bag looks like a bubble backpack, but doesn’t have a hard-shell exterior. Instead, this backpack is constructed with high-quality oxford fabric.
- Large space with big air holes and mesh, making it comfortable and breathable for your pet
- Included buckle strap to prevent your pet from escaping
- Fits pets up to 14 pounds
The MASVIS backpack is airline approved as a carry-on so you can rest assured that you can take your pet with you on an airplane. It features a bubble window and a PU leather exterior.
- Well ventilated so your pet can breathe more fresh air
- Made of high-quality oxford fabric and PU leather
- Comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee
The Texsens backpack features a semi-sphere window design and synthetic leather exterior. It includes adjustable padded shoulder straps for your comfort.
- Large side mesh panels for ventilation
- Top and side entries for easy entry
- A removable pad on the bottom for extra comfort
The Texsens backpack fits cats up to eight pounds. The backpack is made of canvas, which is more transparent and breathable than other materials and also features a transparent semi-sphere viewing portal.
- The semi-sphere has two modes: the plastic shell can be switched to a mesh panel or removed completely
- Padded shoulder straps make travel more comfortable
- The entire top of the backpack is made of mesh for ultimate ventilation