Having pets is such an amazing part of life. This is especially true for cats. They will come up right next to you and rub up against your leg, wanting to be pet. They love snuggles, and the best feeling is when they fall asleep on your lap, purring away, showing just how content they are in your arms. There is also a pretty fun aspect to owning a cat. Like dogs, you can dress them up! Cat costumes are so cute, and it is so much fun to see your kitty cat in a costume. Of course, it doesn’t have to be Halloween to dress them up, any occasion will do, even if it is just any random day. Its always good to have fun!
So what kinds of costumes should your fashion-forward feline wear? We reviewed dozens of cat costumes to identify the best of the best. Some features that we considered were material, fit, price, and more.
Let’s face it, our felines are fierce! The OMG Adorables Lion Mane Costume makes a great costume for your cat to wear. It has a full and fluffy design that looks authentic to a lion’s mane.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cat Costumes
|Best Overall||OMG Adorables Lion Mane Costume||4.5|
|Best Taco Cat Costume||Rubie's Taco Cat Costume||4.0|
|Best Budget Buy||Namsan Cat Sailor Outfit||4.2|
|Best Pirate Costume||Idepet Pirate Cat Costume||4.1|
|Best Unicorn Costume||Ausein Pet Unicorn Hat for Cats||4.3|
Best Cat Costume Overall: OMG Adorables Lion Mane Costume
Your cat will be the pick of the litter when they flaunt the OMG Adorables Lion Mane Costume! As well as being super authentic-looking to a real lion’s mane, it also is very soft and is designed specifically to fit adult cats. The fabric that it is made with is breathable and light so they will not overheat in this costume. The fabrics are a blend of cotton and polyester. They are very gentle on your cat’s coat and skin. It is form-fitting, so your cat will be able to wear this costume without it falling off of them.
It even has soft and fluffy ears that make them look even more like a little fierce lion. The costume is pull-over, so it is easy to take on and off of your cat. It is designed to fit most cats. It is the perfect accessory for your housecat, whether you are taking photos with it, dressing them up for Halloween, or even just because you have company over and you want to surprise them with a little lion in your house, this lion mane costume is fit for your (little) king of the jungle!
OMG Adorables Lion Mane Costume Key Features:
- Easy to put on
- A comfortable blend of cotton and polyester
- Looks realistic
Best Tacocat Costume: Rubie’s Taco Cat Costume
Not only is this costume adorable, but it is also a palindrome, as well! Rubie’s Taco Cat Costume is a fun addition to your cat’s costume wardrobe. It comes in sizes small to extra large, so you are able to choose the perfect fit depending on the breed and size of your cat. It is made of 100% polyester, which is a very soft fabric, so it will be very comfortable for your cat to wear. It uses Velcro bands for closure, for easy-on and easy-off.
Your kitty will look just like the spitting image of a taco! Complete with lettuce, cheese, meat, tomatoes, and the taco shell. If you are looking for something festive and different for a costume, a taco is absolutely perfect. To put it on your cat, it is a simple pullover bodysuit. This costume even comes with a cute little sombrero to top the whole thing off. When your cat is done wearing the costume, it is handwash only and should be dried flat.
Rubies Taco Cat Costume Key Features:
- Various sizes
- 100% polyester
- Velcro bands for adjustment
- Easy pullover bodysuit
Best Budget Cat Costume: Namsan Cat Sailor Outfit
Whether you are doing a sea-themed photoshoot or just want to dress up your sweet little kitty, the Namsan Cat Sailor Outfit is a wonderful choice! It is also inexpensive too. The costume itself is made of 100% cotton, making it a wonderfully comfortable choice for your cat. This costume comes with an adorable collar and a blue navy bowtie for an authentic sailor look. The sailor hat makes this costume perfect.
The hat also has slots for your cat’s ears, so they will not be squished down while wearing the sailor hat. The hat has an adjustable head girth between 13 and 14 inches, and the neck has an adjustable neck girth of 10 to 11 inches, so this costume can in a way, grow with your cat. This great two-piece costume would even make a great way to celebrate the homecoming of a family member who is in the Navy. There are so many things that you can do with this costume, the possibilities are endless!
Namsan Cat Sailor Outfit Key Features:
- Made of 100% cotton
- Hat has slots for ears
- Adjustable around neck and head
- Comes with bowtie
Best Pirate Costume: Idepet Pirate Cat Costume
If you love pirates and you are searching for a pirate costume for your cat, the Idepet Pirate Cat Costume is the one thing that will make all of your kitty dress-up dreams come true. The costume itself comes in four sizes, ranging from small to extra-large. So no matter the breed or size of your cat, you will find a size that will fit them comfortably. The costume is breathable, made of polyester and non-woven fabric. It is super realistic, even having an adorable little hook in place of a left hand.
In addition to the costume, a pirate hat comes with it, complete with the famous skull and crossbones that pirates are so known for. From the realistic ruffles right down to the fabric belt, your cat will look just like a fuzzy little pirate companion when you put them in this outfit.
Idepet Pirate Cat Costume Key Features:
- Made of polyester and non-woven fabric
- Sizes small to extra-large
- Breathable fit
- Realistic looking
Best Unicorn Cat Costume: Ausein Pet Unicorn Hat for Cats
If anyone in your house loves unicorns, this is something that will make them squeal with delight when they see the family cat in the Ausein Pet Unicorn Hat for Cats. The hat is made of soft fleece, and is gentle on even the most sensitive cat’s skin. It is made with Velcro, which makes the hat very easy to put on and to take off, and that also makes it adjustable for your cat so they are comfortable in their costume.
The neck girth ranges from 8.66 inches to 11.81 inches. That means it can pretty much fit most cats. The inside of the hat is made of oxford cloth, a breathable material that won’t make your cat sweat in the hat. It features long rainbow tufts of fluff and a golden unicorn horn to make the costume more realistic looking.
Ausein Pet Unicorn Hat for Cats Key Features:
- Adjustable with Velcro straps
- Easy to put on and take off
- Oxford cloth on the inside is comfortable for your cat
- Soft fleece on the outside
Who Should Buy A Cat Costume
If you are having a celebration at your home and there is a specific theme, why not get the family pets involved? A cat costume could be just the thing to be an adorable icebreaker at a gathering. Sometimes, it is also just fun to dress your cat up, especially if it gets a couple of laughs and giggles out of others. Another reason one would purchase a cat costume would be Halloween, of course. It is the night that we all take joy in dressing up, and we don’t want our pets missing out on the fun, after all!
There are so many fun costumes out there to choose from, you could even get a costume for each day of the week if you wanted to! From bats to businessmen, there is a cat costume out there for just about anything.
Important Features To Consider
A cat costume should be comfortable for your cat, be made of safe material and of course, make your cat look good! Here’s what to consider when selecting a costume for your cat.
- Material. When looking for prospective costumes for your cat, one of the things that you want to consider for them is the type of material that the costume is made out of. It is important that your cat feels comfortable in their new costume. Things to consider when looking for the right material is whether or not your cat has any type of allergies to a certain fabric or is sensitive to it. Typically, polyester and cotton, or a blend of the two are pretty safe options to go with. But if your cat does have a sensitivity to some fabrics, make sure to check what the costume you are interested in is made out of before purchasing.
- Fit. When putting a pet in a costume, you want to make sure that it fits correctly. If it does not, it can easily slide off, or the cat can become entangled or caught in it. In order to ensure a good fit for your cat, it is best to find a costume that you like and use a sizing chart that they should provide. If a chart is not available, there should be some sort of sizing guidelines for measuring your cat’s body, head, and neck so you can make sure that you are getting the correct size for your cat. If you feel that your cat may be in an “in-between” size, try ordering a size up to make it comfortable for them to wear.
- Safety. Over everything else, you want your cat to stay safe. Even if it means looking for a different costume than you originally intended to. Cats love to play, there is no doubt about that. They can definitely be high-energy when they want to be. Some costumes may come with accessories that could distract your cat, for example, if something might end up hanging in front of their face, you may want to rethink that costume. The cat may try to go after something that is in front of them. It is important to find a costume that won’t distract them while they are wearing it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do cats freeze when you put clothes on them?
Cats are pretty interesting creatures. They actually get a lot of feedback about their surroundings through something called their “tactile senses.” These senses are triggered mostly when something brushes up against their whiskers or their fur, where the feedback is received. When they feel any bit of pressure against them, a muscle will twitch. The only sensible thing to the cat, instead of running off, is to freeze in place. It may get easier for the cat when putting a costume on them becomes a bit of a normal process.
How can I get my cat to wear clothes?
A great way to get your cat to wear clothes or a costume is to introduce it to them slowly. You do not want to just put it on them without letting them see it first. A good idea is to leave the costume on the floor, preferably somewhere near where the cat often is. This way, even when you are not around, the cat’s natural curiosity will have them walking up to it, looking at it, smelling it, and just generally assessing it. That way when it comes time to put the costume on the cat, they will at least recognize it.
Can cats wear dog clothes?
Depending on the size, yes, cats can also where dog clothing. For example, if you find something that you absolutely love and want to dress your cat in, but it is for a dog, try checking out the sizing chart. Many small or extra-small sizes of dog clothing can fit cats.
How do I measure my cat for a cat costume?
There are three places on your cat that you should measure when shopping for a costume for them. To begin, you may want to occupy them with a treat or a toy so they don’t run away from you when you are trying to measure them. First, you want to measure the neck girth, which is the measurement around the cat’s neck, where they wear their collar. Second, you need to measure the chest girth, this is the area right behind your cat’s front legs, where their chest is it’s biggest. Lastly, you need to measure the cat’s body length. To measure this, you take your fabric tape measure and measure from the base of your cat’s neck to the base of their tail.
Other Cat Costumes We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other cat costumes. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best cat costumes list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your cat. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Bat Cat Costumes
The costume is fully black to give the look of a real bat. It is suitable for small to medium cats.
- Black felt cloth material
- Easily adjustable
Not only will your cat be a bat, but they will be a vampire bat. Your cat can wear the whole ensemble or just the bat wings.
- Made of lightweight material, black felt, and satin
- Features adjustable Velcro for comfort
- Easy to put-on a take-off
These spooky wings are made of black felt cloth. The material is breathable for your cat.
- One size fits most cats
- Your cat will feel no sense of restraint
This lightweight costume is made of 3mm black felt. The wings will hold their shape for a long time.
- Adjustable size
- Simple Velcro design
- Easy to put on and remove
This sweet costume is easy to put on using Velcro. The costume comes accompanied by a leash.
- Made of high-quality polyester
- Easy to clean
Lion Cat Costumes
This lion costumes come in small and large sizes. The costume fits most cats.
- Velcro closure
- Full and fluffy, made of faux fur and polyester
- Comes in 2 varying shades of light brown
This lion mane comes in 2 sizes, small and large. It features a Velcro closure.
- Made of soft polyester and faux fur
- Comes in dark brown or light brown
- Can be used in winter to keep warm
Your little kitty could be king of the jungle with this adorable lion costume. It will fit most cats.
- Made with high-quality materials
- Will not irritate your cat’s skin
- Looks realistic
This lion’s mane costume fits most cats with a neck circumference of 10 to 11 inches. It features various shades of brown, just like a real lion’s mane.
- Made of faux fur and polyester
- Smooth and soft
- Hand washable
This costume comes in small, medium, and large sizes. It was designed specifically with a cat’s head shape in mind.
- Cotton/polyester blend
- Breathable and lightweight
- Hand washable
Profession Cat Costumes
Your kitty can catch criminals in this adorable police costume. It will fit most cats, but measure to make sure.
- Made of cotton
- Hook and loop Velcro closure
- Great for Halloween
Does your cat love music? You can show everyone with this costume!
- Comes in 3 sizes
- Made of high-quality cotton
- Soft and breathable
This denim jacket and hat set will look adorable on your little cowboy! The costume comes in 3 sizes.
- Soft and comfortable fabric
- Faux arms make costume more realistic
- Made with high-quality polyester
Coming in four different sizes, your cat will make the “purr-fect” doctor! It even features a cute graphic stethoscope.
- Still easy for the cat to use restroom
- Soft fabric
- Faux arms
This is a perfect addition to the doctor’s costume. The costume comes in 4 sizes.
- Made of cotton
- Velcro fastens in the back
Holiday Cat Costumes
This is a wonderful outfit for the holidays! It comes with a hat, little elf booties, and a collar.
- Polyester material
- Hand washable
Made of colorful and comfortable mesh ribbons, this outfit is perfect for Christmas parties or photoshoots! It even features jingle bells for an extra bit of fun!
- Collar is stretchy elastic
- Comfortable and lightweight
- Collar and hat are both adjustable
This adorable Christmas hood will make your feline friend look fabulous during the holidays! It comes in three different sizes.
- Made of high-quality velvet
- Fits cats of all breeds
- Easy to put on and remove
This outfit includes an adorable holiday-themed collar and hat. There are even 6 jingle bells attached to the collar.
- Made of polyester
- Fits most cats
- Hat has drawstring for perfect fit
If you like simple and understated costumes, this is a great choice for a holiday costume for your cat. It comes in two sizes.
- Made of thickened fleece and shortened plush
- Easy to put on and remove
- Features bell ornaments and pom-pom adornments