Your allergies may not agree with your love of cats. But once you’ve bonded with that ball of opinionated fur, how can you say no? Cat dander sprays help neutralize the dander that makes your eyes swell and sinuses clog. They moisturize the skin, remove dander, and come in easy-to-use sprays and wipes for your cat and furniture.
We review dozens of cat dander sprays and wipes to bring you the best of the best. In the process, we compared their formulas, looking for natural, pet-friendly ingredients and weighed in their ease-of-use. Of course, we also considered scent and whether or not the spray could be used for other dander-producing pets.
Burt’s Bees for Cats Natural Dander Spray stands out for its natural ingredients and mix of dander reducers with skin-soothing conditioners. Burt’s Bees keep their products free of harmful chemicals, which not only keeps them out of your home but away from your cat’s sensitive skin. This formula cuts down on the flaky skin that contributes to dander spreading throughout your home.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cat Dander Sprays
|Best Cat Dander Spray Overall||Burt’s Bees for Cats Natural Dander Spray||4.5|
|Best Cat Dander Wipes||Burt’s Bees for Cats Dander Reducing Wipes||4.5|
|Best Budget Cat Dander Spray||Allersearch ADMS Anti-Allergen Spray||4.4|
|Best Organic Cat Dander Spray||Easy Air Organic Allergy Relief Spray||4.1|
|Best Multi-Pet Cat Dander Spray||Allergy Asthma Clean Allergen Spray||4.1|
*Ratings are current at the time of publication and can change
The Best Cat Dander Spray Overall: Burt’s Bees for Cats Natural Dander Spray
Burt’s Bees for Cats Natural Dander Spray comes with everything you want and none of the chemicals you don’t. Dander, the name for the skin cells shed by cats and other animals (including humans), takes a hit with this formula as it combines dander removal with skin nourishment.
Burt’s Bees formula mixes the moisturization of aloe with the calming properties of oat flour. Sprays like this are easy to apply, and this formula skips phthalates, sulfates, and essential oils, which can be overpowering for small animals like cats.
Burt’s Bees for Cats Natural Dander Spray Key Features:
- Contains soothing aloe and oat flour
- Free of phthalates, sulfates, and artificial dyes and fragrances
- Natural ingredients
The Best Cat Dander Wipes: Burt’s Bees for Cats Dander Reducing Wipes
Burt’s Bees does it again with their Burt’s Bees for Cats Dander Reducing Wipes. Wipes infused with the same formula as the Burt’s Bees cat dander spray remove dander while nourishing the skin. Whether it’s because your cat won’t tolerate a spray or you need an option in between baths, these portable wipes are easy to stash and use almost anywhere.
However, they can also be used as regular wipes to clean paws and ears. They’re free of sulfates, phthalates, and harsh chemicals, so they can remove dander and nourish the skin to reduce the shedding of dander.
Burt’s Bees for Cats Dander Reducing Wipes Key Features:
- Free of sulfates, phthalates, and harsh chemicals
- Cleans dirt and debris along with dander
- Portable package
Best Budget Cat Dander Spray: Allersearch ADMS Anti-Allergen Spray
If you want a budget-friendly formula and one that works for allergens other than cat dander, you’ve found the right formula with Allersearch ADMS Anti-Allergen Spray. This bottle can keep allergens at bay in a 2,400 square foot space for up to 30 days. We love buying in bulk to cut down costs.
This formula neutralizes dander, dust mites, mildew, mold, and pollen. However, it doesn’t go directly on your cat, but on upholstery, carpets, and animal bedding to keep allergens under control after the dander has been shed.
Allersearch ADMS Anti-Allergen Spray Key Features:
- High volume, bulk-size bottle
- Neutralizes dander, dust mites, mildew, mold, and pollen
- Apply to furniture, carpet, curtains, and animal bedding
Best Organic Cat Dander Spray: Easy Air Organic Allergy Relief Spray
Easy Air Organic Allergy Relief Spray neutralizes allergens on furniture, carpet, curtains, and other household objects. It works on far more than pet dander, too. It takes care of dust mites, pollen, mold, and mildew for full allergy relief. Easy Air’s formula reduces red, puffy eyes, running nose, sneezing, and other allergy symptoms. And it does it all with safe, organic ingredients.
You can use this spray on problem areas or throughout an entire room. It can also be used as a laundry additive or diluted for use as a carpet cleaning solution.
Easy Air Organic Allery Relief Spray Key Features:
- Organic ingredients free of harmful chemicals and pesticides
- Neutralizes dust mites, pollen, mold, mildew, and pet dander
- Acts as a laundry and carpet cleaning additive
Best Multi-Pet Cat Dander Spray: Asthma Allergy Clean Allergen Spray
Cats aren’t the only animals whose dander can bring on allergies. Dogs and birds can also contribute to dander-related allergies, and this formula treats them on contact. Asthma Allergy Clean Allergen Spray comes in a concentrated mineral form that gets shipped without water. Instead, you mix the powdered minerals with water inside the bottle after shipping. We like that this method saves on cost and carbon emissions during the shipping process.
A mix of sesquicarbonate and phosphate salts combine to capture and dehydrate allergen particles. In the process, they get weighed down and removed from the breathable air space: the results — easier breathing for you.
Asthma Allergy Clean Allergen Spray Key Features:
- Shipped in mineral form without water
- Reduces allergens from all animals
- Contains sesquicarbonate and phosphate salts to trap and dehydrate allergens
Who Should Buy a Cat Dander Spray
Like you, your cat sheds skin cells every day. Those skin cells, called dander, can trigger allergies, and cats aren’t the only ones who create it. Any animal with fur or feathers can trigger allergies too. Cat dander sprays either treat your cat to reduce the number of skin cells shed or neutralize dander after it’s been shed, removing them from your breathable air space.
If you or anyone in your family has cat allergies, a cat dander spray offers some relief. They’re also a good option if you want to keep allergens down for potential guests and visitors. The sprays make it easier to wipe away or vacuum the dander or reduce the amount of dander your cat releases altogether. The formulas that neutralize other allergens like pollen and dust mites are a good option, too, because they take care of other pesky allergens at the same time.
If you’re looking to minimize the overall content of dander in your home you may also want to check out The Best Cat Brushes For Shedding.
Important Features to Consider
Cat dander sprays should do a few things well. Here’s what to consider as you make your selection:
- Bottle size and sprayer type. Cat dander sprays come in bottles of all sizes and shapes. Some even come as wipes rather than sprays. Your spray options are a pump versus a spray bottle. Spray bottles are generally found on and work better for formulas designed to spray on furniture and throughout a room because they have a wider coverage area. Pumps work better for formulas designed for direct application to the cat because the coverage area is smaller and easier to control.
- Ingredients. Whether the cat dander spray is designed for direct or indirect application, it shouldn’t contain anything that’s harmful to you or your cat. Indirect sprays may have ingredients that can sting the eyes, so make sure you know which kind you’re getting, so you don’t hurt your cat. The safest products will have all-natural and/or organic ingredients. Formulas free of phthalates, sulfates, and other harsh chemicals are often gentler on you, your furniture, and your pets.
- Direct or indirect application. Cat dander sprays designed for direct application to your cat should have gentle ingredients that soothe the skin like aloe vera, avocado, and oatmeal or oat flour. The nourishment of the ingredients keeps the skin healthy to slow the shedding of dander. Indirect sprays are applied to furniture, pet bedding, and carpet. While they’re safe for you and your cat, they should not be directly sprayed onto your cat. They’re designed to neutralize allergens by weighing them down, so they fall out of your breathable air space.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does cat dander spray work?
Cat dander sprays work. But depending on the spray, they work in different ways. Some sprays treat the cat’s skin to soothe and nourish it, so the cat releases fewer skin cells. Other formulas neutralize allergens by attaching to them or dehydrating them and causing them to fall out of the breathable air space. Once they’ve fallen, they’re easier to wipe up or vacuum. The effectiveness of these sprays also depends on the severity of your allergies. If you have severe allergies, an allergen spray may not be enough to reduce your symptoms.
How do I reduce my cat’s dander?
While you can’t stop dander all together, you can reduce it. Irritated, dry skin leads to more dander. A healthy diet, consistent grooming, and regularly shampooing your cat helps keep dander under control.
There are ways to control dander within your home, too. Regularly vacuuming furniture and carpets with a HEPA filter vacuum keep dander from building up. Grooming your cat outside and keeping your cat out of your bedroom are other ways to reduce dander and keep it out of sensitive areas of the home.
How long does cat dander stay allergenic?
Cat dander hangs around and stays allergenic for about 20 to 30 weeks, which is the time it will take for a cat home to have the same allergen level as a non-cat home.
Can other animals release dander?
Any animal with hair or feathers can release dander, including dogs, cats, mice, rats, and birds. If you have allergies to dander, your body’s immune system tries to fight off the allergen as it would a bacteria or virus.
Other Cat Dander Sprays We Reviewed
We reviewed 20 other cat dander sprays. These sprays and wipes didn’t make our list, but they’re excellent formulas that might be perfect for your home.
- Cat Dander Sprays for Multi-Pet Homes
- Cat Dander Wipes
- General Cat Dander Sprays
- Organic/All-Natural Cat Dander Sprays
Cat Dander Sprays for Multi-Pet Homes
Cats aren’t the only ones who leave behind dander. This formula works for cats, dogs, rabbits, and other dander producers.
- Nourishes the skin and fur
- Applies directly to pet
- Non-toxic and non-oily
A plant and mineral base creates a gentle multi-pet spray to reduce pesky allergies.
- Safe for pet bedding and furniture
- Created with a plant and mineral base
- Apply on furniture, fabrics, and hard surfaces
Cat Dander Wipes
A fantastic portable container and hypoallergenic formula make these wipes perfect for quick wipe downs that keep allergies from spiking.
- Hard, portable case
Get rid of that dander with wipes full of natural ingredients.
- Removes odors
- Keeps your cat clean in between baths
- Soothes irritated skin
Dander isn’t the only thing these nourishing wipes whisk away. They’re great for quick baths and dirt removal, too.
- Soothing aloe heals and nourishes the skin
- Won’t remove flea treatments
- Organically grown aloe
All-natural wipes let nature do the work of removing dander and nourishing the skin.
- Infused with catnip
- Removes dander and loosens shed hair
While these wipes are designed for in-between baths, they’re perfect for keeping dander under control, too.
- Moisturizes the skin with aloe, vitamin A, and vitamin E
- Cleanses as it wipes away dander
Say goodbye to dander while these wipes nourish the skin and fur with aloe and lanolin.
- Contains all-natural botanical extracts
- Contains aloe and lanolin
- Moisturizes dry, irritated skin
It’s hard to beat the healing of aloe and oatmeal. These wipes remove dander and nourish the skin to reduce shed skin cells.
- Soothes irritated skin
- Pina colada scent
- Works for in-between baths as well as dander removal
Three scents and an oatmeal formula give you lots of options with this brand of dander-removing wipes.
- Made for sensitive skin
- Removes dirt and dust along with dander
- Biodegradable bamboo-based wipes
Cat or dog, these wipes get rid of odors and sneeze-producing dander.
- Non-toxic and alcohol-free
- Moisturizes the skin as it cleans
- Removes dirt, dander, and odors
Nourish the skin while getting rid of the dander that triggers allergies.
- Large, thick wipes
- For dogs and cats
Formulated to remove tears, these wipes are fantastic for dander and gentle on the skin.
- Alcohol and chemical-free
- Made of organic cotton
- Gentle on the skin
A soap-free formula leaves on flea treatments but wipes away the dander that makes you sneeze.
- Removes dander and odors
- Alcohol and soap-free
- Coconut scented
General Cat Dander Sprays
Allerpet spray binds to dander, neutralizing it. Aloe, green tea, and chamomile soothe and nourish the skin to cut down on dander overall.
- Neutralizes dander
- Moisturizes the skin with aloe vera
- Includes mitt on which to spray the formula then rub onto the cat
This Allerpet formula hones in on the sebaceous glands to stop dander before it starts.
- Non-oily and non-toxic
- Safe for kittens over the age of eight weeks
Do you have a smelly cat? Arm & Hammer’s formula tackles dander and odor with an easy-to-use foam.
- Neutralizes odors with baking soda
- Moisturizes the skin as it removes dander
- Blueberry/pomegranate scent
This spray straddles the line between a dander spray and a dry shampoo. It cleanses the fur and skin to rid the feline body of dander.
- Free of soap and detergent
- Oatmeal soothes irritated skin
- Safe for use on kittens
Organic/All-Natural Cat Dander Sprays
For dogs, cats, and other dander-producing pets, this eco-friendly spray deodorizes and cleanses as it removes dander.
- For dogs and cats
- Biodegradable formula
- Includes natural enzymes to neutralize odors and dander
This gentle, unscented formula cuts down on flaking skin.
- Natural Formula
- No artificial fragrances
- Reduces flaky skin