Many cats naturally wear down their nails through scratching, exercise, and general activity, but some kitties need a little help to keep their claws in check, in which case you’ll need some cat nail clippers or trimmers. It’s a good idea to keep cat nail clippers or trimmers on hand even if your cat doesn’t usually need her nails trimmed, because long nails can grow in a curved manner and dig into the pads, causing your cat pain. Having clippers or trimmers at home means you can quickly solve any excess nail-growth as soon as you spot it.
We reviewed dozens of cat nail clippers and trimmers to identify the best of the best. We considered a variety of factors, including the type of clipper, ease of use, overall effectiveness, and average customer reviews.
Shiny Pet Cat Nail Clippers stood out as the clear best cat nail clippers overall. The super sharp angled blades cut cleanly and effectively, which is all you could hope for from cat nail clippers.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cat Nail Clippers and Trimmers
|Best Cat Nail Clippers Overall||Shiny Pet Cat Nail Clippers||4.7|
|Best Electric Cat Nail Trimmers||Casfuy Pet Nail Grinder||4.8|
|Best Budget Cat Nail Clippers||JW Pet Company GripSoft Cat Nail Clippers||4.6|
|Best Cat Nail Clippers with Safety Guard||gonicc Dog & Cat Nail Clippers with Safety Guard||4.5|
|Best Cat Nail Clippers with LED Light||WALKINNWITH LOOKUT Premium Pet Nail Clippers with Guide Light||4.3|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Cat Nail Clippers Overall: Shiny Pet Cat Nail Clippers
Cat nail clippers don’t need to be complex to work well, which is proven by our top pick, Shiny Pet Cat Nail Clippers. These clippers look similar to human nail scissors, but with sharp angled blades with a notch in to accommodate the shape of cats’ nails. Since these blades are extremely sharp, they cut cleanly through the nail each time, rather than squeezing the sides of the nails, which is uncomfortable for the cat, can lead to cracked nails, and might put your cat off having her nails clipped for life. The handles have an ergonomic grip to keep the user comfortable, too, which is great if your nail-trimming sessions tend to last a while.
You’ll also receive an instructional e-book with your purchase to show you exactly how to use them—great news for cat owners with little nail clipping experience. Shiny Pet Cat Nail Clippers cost just $13, which is extremely reasonable for clippers that cut so easily and effectively.
Shiny Pet Cat Nail Clippers Key Features:
- The angled blades make it easier to see exactly where you’re cutting so you don’t nick the quick
- These clippers are extremely lightweight and compact
- The non-slip handle helps prevent users from losing their grip at a crucial moment
Best Electric Cat Nail Trimmer: Casfuy Pet Nail Grinder
Casfuy Pet Nail Grinder is different from your average cat nail clippers and trimmers. Rather than cutting your cat’s nails, this product files them down using what is essentially a mini rotary sander for pet nails. If your cat objects to regular nail clippers, she might allow you to trim her nails using this nail grinder. It comes with three ports, including a small port that’s the ideal size for cat nails, plus it has two speed settings so you can tailor it to your needs (unless your cat’s nails have become extremely long and thick, the slower speed is best for cats).
Unlike many other nail grinders on the market, this one is low-noise and low-vibration, so most cats are fairly tolerant of it. The built-in battery is charged via a USB cable, so it’s easy to keep it topped up. All this costs roughly $43, which makes it one of the more expensive cat nail trimmers on the market, but the ease of use and convenience makes it worthwhile, especially if your cat dislikes standard pet nail clippers.
Casfuy Pet Nail Grinder Key Features:
- The diamond bit grinder wears down cats’ nails safely and effectively
- When used correctly, you have less chance of accidentally injuring the quick of your cat’s nails
- Battery lasts for around 2 hours of use on a full charge
Best Budget Cat Nail Clippers: JW Pet Company GripSoft Cat Nail Clippers
Just because you’re on a budget, it doesn’t mean you need to settle for low quality cat nail clippers. JW Pet Company GripSoft Cat Nail Clippers are thoughtfully designed and trim nails effectively, despite retailing at less than $6. The short length allows for better control and maneuvering so you’re less likely to accidentally cut into the quick of your cat’s nails (the live part of the nail that contains nerve endings and blood vessels). Plus the rubberized handles offer a non-slip grip to keep the clippers steady.
The blades themselves have a semi-circle design that makes it easier to see where exactly you’re cutting right up to the moment you snip, so you can trim your cat’s nails with confidence. These clippers are compact enough to be suitable for kittens, as well as adult cats. All things considered, these cat nail clippers are a huge bargain.
JW Pet Company GripSoft Cat Nail Clippers Key Features:
- The small blades allow for precise trimming
- Stable, non-slip grip on the handles
- The blades are sharp to make quick work of cutting nails
Best Cat Nail Clippers with Safety Guard: gonicc Dog & Cat Nail Clippers with Safety Guard
You won’t need to worry about nicking the quick when you use the gonicc Dog & Cat Nail Clippers with Safety Guard. Since it’s impossible for your cat’s nail to slip further than the guard allows, you’ll be confident than you won’t trim then shorter than you meant to, cutting into the quick and hurting your cat. If you’re new to cutting cats’ nails, feel uncomfortable doing so, or have a very wriggly cat, these cat nail clippers with safety guard can be real life-savers.
The handles are ergonomically designed with a non-slip grip for your comfort and your cat’s safety. They also come with a lock feature, so you can lock them in a closed position, which is great for households with small children or simply to prevent you from hurting your fingers if you root around in a drawer where these clippers are kept. Costing approximately $20, these aren’t the cheapest cat nail clippers around, but nor are they the most expensive.
gonicc Dog & Cat Nail Clippers with Safety Guard Key Features:
- Hidden nail file in one of the handles to smooth sharp edges
- High quality stainless steel blades are sharp and effective
- Soft, non-slip handles with an ergonomic design
Best Cat Nail Clippers with LED Light: WALKINNWITH LOOKUT Premium Pet Nail Clippers with Guide Light
Utilizing the help of an LED light, WALKINNWITH LOOKUT Premium Pet Nail Clippers with Guide Light will stop you from trimming your cat’s nail too short and hurting her. But, how exactly does an LED light do this? Well, the light shines through the nail, exposing the location of the nerve and blood vessel in the nail that’s commonly called the quick. Once you know where this is, you’ll be able to easily avoid it. What’s worth noting is that the color of your cats’ nails does make a difference in how effective it is. The LED light exposes the quick 99% of the time in white nails, 85% of the time in brown nails, and 60% of the time in black nails.
The blades on the device are sharp and cut through nails quickly and cleanly. There’s also an integrated file/grinder you can use to smooth your cat’s freshly-clipped nails if you choose, though it isn’t essential. This pet nail clipper is a lot more complex than some, so you can understand why it costs $32 and we do believe it’s worth the money.
WALKINNWITH LOOKUT Premium Pet Nail Clippers with Guide Light Key Features:
- Light is battery powered and battery is included
- Comfortable to hold and use
- Nail trapper collects each piece of trimmed nail so it won’t fly off and get lost
Who Should Buy Cat Nail Clippers or Trimmers
If your cat’s nails are overgrown, you’ll definitely need some cat nail clippers or trimmers to get them back under control. Although not all cats need their nails trimmed regularly, most do once in a while, so we’d recommend all responsible cat owners have some on hand just in case.
You might also like to buy your feline friend a cat scratcher, which can help keep nails at an appropriate length. Though it isn’t a solution if your cat’s nails are already too long.
Important Features to Consider
Cat nail clippers and trimmers should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting nail clippers or trimmers for your cat:
- Types of clippers and trimmers. You’ll find various types of cat nail clippers and trimmers on the market, so it’s important to choose the right one for you and your feline friend. Standard cat nail clippers look a little like nail scissors designed for humans, but with shorter blades with a semi-circle cut out of each to accommodate cat nails. These are inexpensive and effective, working well for most cats. Another popular option is nail grinder style trimmers. These have a rotating part on top that gently files down nails. They’re great for cats who don’t like standard clippers or owners who are worried about cutting nails too short.
- Sharp blades. It’s important that any bladed clippers you choose have very sharp blades. If the blades aren’t sharp enough to cut through cleanly, they’ll squeeze and crush the nail instead, which will be uncomfortable for your cat.
- Ergonomic grip. Cat nail clippers and trimmers with an ergonomic grip are easier and more comfortable to hold. If you have multiple cats or it just takes you a while to trim your cat’s claws, you’ll thank yourself for choosing clippers with an ergonomic design.
- Safety guard. Some clippers have a built-in safety guard that prevents you from cutting your cat’s nails too short. This is a great feature if you’re worried about hitting the quick.
- LED light. You can also find cat nail clippers with LED lights, which is another feature designed to help avoid nicking the blood vessel in your pet’s nail. The LED light shines through the nail so you can see exactly where the quick is located.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I cut my cat’s nails by myself?
It can be tricky to cut your cat’s nails alone, so we’d always recommend enlisting a helper where possible. Otherwise, you’ll need to work out how to hold onto your cat securely with the arm of your non-dominant hand, leaving your dominant hand free for trimming nails. We’d recommend starting slowly if your cat isn’t used to having her nails trimmed, giving her lots of treats after each successfully clipped nail so she’ll associate the experience with tasty food.
What happens if you don’t trim your cat’s nails?
Some cats can exist their whole lives without having their nails trimmed. These are generally cats who do plenty of scratching (hopefully on a cat scratcher but sometimes on your wood furnishings) and are free to roam outdoors, where they’ll wear their nails down on hard surfaces. However, as cats get older and less active, their nails often get longer. Or cats who don’t like scratching and don’t exercise a lot, in general, may always have issues with overgrown nails. In these cases, if you don’t trim your cat’s nails, they’ll get longer and more curved and eventually grow into the pads of your cat’s paws, which will be painful for your feline friend.
How often should a cat’s nails be clipped?
Cats who have problems with their nails becoming overgrown will generally need them clipped every 10 to 14 days.
Can I use human nail clippers on my cat?
No. Human nail clippers are not designed for cat claws and are highly unlikely to be strong enough to get through them. Even if they were strong enough, the shape’s not right for cats’ nails so the clipping experience would likely be uncomfortable for your cat.
Other Cat Nail Clippers and Trimmers We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other cat nail clippers and trimmers. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best cat nail clippers and trimmers list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your feline friend. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Electric Cat Nail Trimmers
- Cat Nail Clippers with Safety Guard
- Cat Nail Clippers with LED Light
- Other Cat Nail Clippers
Electric Cat Nail Trimmers
With its protective sheath to keep the skin away from the rotating head and the fact it gently and gradually files down nails, you can feel quite safe using this on your pet.
- Two-speed settings
- USB rechargeable
- Built-in LED light
This safe and effective electric nail trimmer has a diamond bit grinder and the option of a small port size to fit cat nails.
- Rechargeable via USB
- Low noise and vibration
- Easy to clean
Thanks to its powerful motor, this electric cat nail trimmer makes light work of felines’ claws while remaining a safe option.
- Three port sizes
- Two-speed settings
- Integrated LED light
Not only do you receive an effective electric nail grinder for your money, but this set also includes a manual nail clipper with a safety guard and a handy storage pouch.
- Cordless design with USB charger
- Two grinding speeds
- Durable and effective diamond bit
This basic and affordable nail grinder is powered by two C batteries. It’s great for cat nails but gets mixed reviews as it may not be powerful enough for tougher dog nails.
- Low noise
- Safety cap included
- Comes with five sanding bands
Cat Nail Clippers with Safety Guard
Sharp blades on these clippers make light work of cat nails, giving a clean cut every time with no squeezing or pinching.
- Non-slip handles
- Safety lock for blade
- Bonus nail file included
These budget pet nail clippers have been upgraded to include a safety guard. They aren’t the best on the market but are a decent choice if you don’t have much to spend.
- Safety lock
- Rubberized handles for grip
- Stainless steel blades
These medium-sized clippers are great for cats, as well as small dogs and other small pets if you have them.
- Comes with a nail file
- Simple safety guard
- Ergonomic non-slip handles
These compact pet nail clippers come in two sizes, the smaller of which is suitable for trimming cats’ claws.
- Adjustable safety guard
- Strong stainless steel blades
- Comfortable handles
Cat Nail Clippers with LED Light
Thanks to the magnification area with ultra-bright LED light, it’s easy to spot and avoid the quick, though the process can take a little longer than with standard clippers.
- Nail trapper catches clippings
- Blade cuts quickly and cleanly
- Batteries included
A fairly similar option to the one above with both an LED light and a magnification area to get the best possible visuals on your cat’s claws.
- Hardened stainless steel blade for a clean cut
- Thick handle helps disperse compression force
- Nail trapper for easier cleanup
These are more straightforward scissor-style pet nail clippers with an integrated LED light for better visibility, which are generally quicker to use than those with guillotine-style blades.
- LED light is battery powered (batteries not included)
- Sharp stainless steel blades
- Hidden nail file in one handle
Another scissor-style option that makes quick and clean cuts thanks to the sharp stainless steel blades.
- LED light illuminates the quick
- Plastic baffle helps catch clippings
- Blade lock function
Other Cat Nail Clippers
Simple stainless steel cat claw clippers with sharp half-moon blades for effective cutting.
- Safety grip improves control
- Made from surgical grade stainless steel
- Suitable for cats and kittens
With the half-moon shape and curved blades, you can get a good visual on each nail as you clip it so you don’t accidentally cut too far.
- Easy to use
- Non-slip coating
- Sharp blades
Made from strong, high-grade stainless steel, you get a clean cut on your cat’s claws, without any squeezing or crushing of the nails.
- Blades slope up for better control
- Comfortable non-slip handles
- Simple to use
The guillotine nail clipper makes a change from the scissor style trimmers that dominate the market. Some people find these clippers cut more cleanly but they’re slightly trickier to use.
- Soft grip handles
- Sharp blade
- Ergonomic design
Thanks to the ergonomic non-slip handles, these cat nail clippers are a pleasure to use.
- Quality stainless steel blades
- Half-moon design for better visibility
- Compact design
Another set of guillotine-style nail clippers to add to your shortlist, if you prefer this style. These are strong and effective.
- Sharp blades make clean cuts
- Safety guide design
- Strong spring handle
These cat nail clippers might be simple, but they work well and cut cleanly, making them an excellent choice if you want to stick to the basics.
- Textured non-slip handle
- Strong, sharp stainless steel blades
- Quick sensor for safety