Cats love to look out the window. They like to lay out in the sunshine and stalk birds and other critters they spot out the window. Looking out of the window keep cats entertained for hours. It makes them feel like a part of the outdoors – all within the comfort and warmth of their own home. A cat window perch provides your cat with a great view of the outdoors along with a comfy bed to relax and stretch out on. It’s like a front row seat to your cat’s favorite movie. What more could she want?
We’ve reviewed dozens of cat window perches to identify the best, highest-quality, cat window perch at any budget, based on factors such as size, quality of materials, Amazon ratings, and other considerations. We narrowed our search down to five of the top-rated window perches that are on the market today.
We’ve identified the Original KITTY COT Cat Perch as the best window perch overall. While it’s a little pricier than some of our window perch picks, it’s made from tough weather-resistant and easy to clean fabric, with ample space for your cat to lay out. These features, coupled with the fact that it’s extra comfortable for your cat make it an excellent choice for smart cat owners.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Best Cat Window Perches and Beds
|Best Overall||Original KITTY COT Cat Perch||4.6|
|Runner Up||K&H Pet Products Kitty Sill||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||PETPAWJOY Cat Bed||3.7|
|Best Cat Window Hammock||ZALALOVA Cat Window Perch||4.2|
|Best Cat Window Box||K&H Pet Products EZ Mount Penthouse||4.7|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Original KITTY COT Cat Perch
If you’re looking for a comfortable and secure window perch, look no further than the Original KITTY COT Cat Perch. The frame is constructed of strong and durable PVC pipe. The hammock is made of tough weather-resistant and easy-to-clean material that attracts cats like a magnet. The support cables are 1/8 inch stainless steel and attach to giant suction cups that are made in the USA and built to last. The Kitty Cot measures 25-1/2 inches long by 14 inches wide and can hold up to 25 pounds (including multiple cats). A major benefit of the Kitty Cot is that you don’t need to screw anything into your walls. It’s held up completely with suction cups that attach to your window.
Reviewers say that installation is quick and easy. Their cats were instantly drawn in as soon as the cat perch was installed and from then on never want to leave their favorite spot. Reviewers also love the fact that the cat perch is sturdy and doesn’t budge from the window once installed. They also say it’s easy to uninstall and reinstall if they need to take it down for any reason.
The KITTY COT has been reviewed over 1,000 times and consistently receives four or five stars. It’s a true standout product for your pet.
Original KITTY COT Cat Perch Key Features:
- Made with heavy-duty 3/4 inch PVC pipe and fittings
- Mounts to windows using giant suction cups and 1/8 inch stainless steel cables
- The hammock is made of tough weather-resistant fabric
- Easy to clean with soap and water
- Can be fitted to narrower windows
Our Runner-Up Pick: K&H Pet Products Kitty Sill
A bit more budget-friendly, but still an amazing option is the K&H Pet Products Kitty Sill. It’s one of the sturdiest perches on the market. It can support up to 40 pounds and measures 14 inches by 24 inches. The legs are 3/4 inches wide and 8 inches long. The Kitty Sill features an oval-shaped design with super-soft orthopedic foam with a washable faux-lambskin removable cover. The foam surface provides orthopedic support for your pet.
No tools are required to install, but it does come with screws to permanently install onto your window sill, which most reviewers recommend using. The perch cover is easy to clean. Simply remove, wash it on the gentle cycle, and line dry.
Reviewers love that the perch takes only ten minutes to install. They say that the three long screws included in the kit make the perch sturdy enough for long-term use. They also like the perch’s thick and soft pad. They say their cats love to lounge in comfort and style on this perch.
K&H Pet Products Kitty Sill Key Features:
- Holds up to 40 pounds
- Measures 14 inches by 24 inches
- Super-soft orthopedic foam with a washable faux-lambskin cover
- Two installation modes: heavy-duty Velcro and screws
- 1-year limited warranty
Best Budget Pick: PETPAWJOY Cat Bed
At just $15.89, the PETPAWJOY Cat Bed is the best window perch for budget-friendly pet owners who don’t want to sacrifice quality for price. The PETPAWJOY Cat Bed is not only one of the inexpensive options, it’s also one of the most highly rated cat perches on the market. It features industrial strength suction cups that hold up to 30 pounds. The hammock measures 22 inches long by 12 inches wide and is made of oxford cloth that remains cool in the warm weather so your cat’s body temperature won’t overheat.
Reviewers love the solid construction and affordability of this perch. They say it takes just a few moments to install – just clean your window and affix the suction cups. Reviewers also like that it holds their multiple pets without issue and is extremely durable.
PETPAWJOY Cat Bed Key Features:
- Measures 22 inches long by 12 inches wide, it holds up to 30 pounds
- The hammock is made of oxford cloth, which remains cool in the warm weather
- Includes a fun cat chew toy
- Includes a 30 day 100% satisfaction guaranteed, a one-year limited warranty, and lifetime customer support.
Best Cat Window Hammock: TabbyNapper Cat Window Perch
The ZALALOVA Cat Window Perch is perfect for pet owners looking for a hammock-style perch.
For pet owners looking for a hammock-style perch, the ZALALOVA Cat Window Perch doesn’t disappoint. It holds up to 50 pounds. No tools are needed to install and it requires the use of suction cups. The suction cups attached to the fleece covered frame along with stain steel wire ropes, and are stuck directly onto the window. This hammock features stretchy fabric that cradles your cat in soft, fleecy comfort. It fits any casement or double-hung window in your home.
Reviewers love the soft, comfortable fabric of the hammock. They also like how easy the ZALALOVA Cat Window Perch is to install and how it doesn’t damage their window sills.
ZALALOVA Cat Window Perch Key Features:
- Holds up to 50 pounds
- Machine washable cover
- Stretchy fabric that cradles your cat
- Fits any casement or double-hung window in your home
Best Cat Window Box: K&H Pet Products EZ Mount Penthouse
If you’re looking for a box-type window perch, the K&H Pet Products EZ Mount Penthouse offers all the bells and whistles. It’s the perfect one-stop entertainment space for your kitty with a built-in ledge for easy entrance and exit, six windows for visibility, and a microfleece sleeping surface. Extra-strong suction cups hold up to 60 pounds at once. The K&H Pet Products Penthouse provides a 15-inch by 24-inch sleeping surface for multiple pets.
The Penthouse is easy to install. Simply affix the four suction cups to any glass surface. To clean, simply remove the microfleece pad and machine wash and line dry. Wash the rest of the surface easily with soap and water.
Reviewers love that the product is durable and built to last. One reviewer says it stands up to the daily “abuse” of his two cats bird watching and soaking up the sun.
K&H Pet Products EZ Mouth Penthouse Key Features:
- Mounts to any glass surface
- Offers a secure space
- Plush microfleece sleeping surface
- Mesh windows for indoor and outdoor views
- One year manufacturer’s warranty
Who Should Buy a Cat Window Perch
Cats are naturally drawn to the outdoors, but living outside is oftentimes pretty dangerous for cats. Outside, there’s the risk that they’ll get hit by a car, get in a fight with another cat, or even get lost and never come back home. Instead, they’re actually safest kept inside for most of the time. They spend a lot of that time lounging around in the sun and stalking bird, mice and other critters outside their window. A window perch is perfect for any indoor (or outdoor) cat because it combines a cat’s love of looking out the window and laying out in the sun in a comfortable spot. Many cat owners find that when they get a new window perch, it instantly becomes their cat’s favorite spot in the whole house.
Window perches are also good for a cat’s physical and mental health. It keeps them active since they have to jump and climb to get on it. It also keeps their mind active and sharp. It also helps minimize destructive behavior because it gives cats something to do and keeps them entertained for hours.
Important Features to Consider
A cat window perch should be sturdy and hold up your cat’s weight. It also should be comfortable and inviting. Here’s what to consider when selecting a window perch for your cat:
- Appropriate sizing. First, your cat window perch should be big enough for your cat to adequately lay and stretch out. It’s a good idea to measure the space where your cat typically sleeps and make sure the perch you choose meets that criteria.
- Weight limit. You also need to pay attention to the upper weight limit of the perch. Some perches can hold upwards of 100 pounds and multiple cats. Think about your own pets. If they like to share a sleeping space, be sure to get a perch that can hold their combined weight.
- Quality materials. You’ll want to ensure that the perch you choose is well-constructed. You never want the perch to fall down while your cat is using it. Look for durable materials for the frame, such as PVC piping or steel. For the hammock or other sleeping surfaces, look for strong fabric or material that won’t stretch out or wear out over time.
- Hanging style. Some perches rest on your windowsill, while others hang from the window. Perches that hang from the window use suction cups to provide a firm hold, while sill perches have bolsters to provide leverage. Window perches can be stuck on any window or even glass doors. They don’t require any screws or permanent installation, which is convenient for many people – especially renters. Sill perches require your window to have sufficient windowsills and certain styles require a specific type of window. You’ll need to install the sill perch onto your window sill, while the bottom will use a buttress-type support.
- Durability. You’ll need to ensure that the perch you choose is durable enough to stand up to daily use without falling down. If it uses suction cups to hang, make sure these are heavy-duty and large enough that they won’t pop off the window when your cat gets on the perch. If it uses a buttress support, make sure it’ll well-constructed and will stand the test of time.
- Comfort. Your pet’s comfort should be one of your biggest consideration. Many cat perches feature orthopedic foam. This type of foam won’t flatten under your cat’s weight over time. Others feature stretchy material that cradles your pet in comfort. Consider your pet’s typically sleeping habits and choose a perch that closely mimics that style.
- Hammock, box, or pod? There are several styles of window perches for cats. The most common is the hammock style which is typically a stretchy piece of material supported by a frame. The box style is shaped like a box and typically has more room for multiple cats. The pod style is similar to the box style, but looks like a futuristic pod.
- Colors and patterns. Depending on where you place the perch, you’ll want to choose a cat perch that goes with the decor of your home. You don’t want your window perch to stick out like a sore thumb in the middle of your living room. Many cat perches come in inconspicuous colors, like tan or gray, that can fit in any decor scheme.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a cat window perch and how does it work?
A cat window perch is essentially a bed placed in front of a window. There are several different styles on the market, including hammock, box, and pod. The hammock style supports your cat’s weight with a stretchy piece of material supported by a frame. A box or pod style perch is enclosed or hooded, making a comfy little retreat for your pet.
Why do cats like to sit in the window?
Many cats enjoy nothing more than sitting and looking out the window. They enjoy watching birds, small wildlife, bugs, other cats, and the outdoor foliage. They also enjoy sunbathing and sleeping in the sun. Windows give cats mental stimulation and enrichment for cats. Many cats can become bored or destructive being indoors all day and looking out the window can provide hours of entertainment.
How do you install a cat window perch?
There are two main installation methods for cat window perches: those that are installed onto the windowsill and those that hang from the window. To install perches that hang from the window, you’ll simply need to affix suction cups to your window to support the perch, two to support the frame and two to support the cables that hold up the other end of the perch. For windowsill perches, you’ll need to affix the perch to your windowsill, typically either by screws or Velcro tape. The bottom of the perch will be buttressed up against your wall.
Where should I put a cat window perch?
To determine what window is best to place your cat perch, think about two things: the sun and the outdoor activity level. Most cats like windows that provide plenty of sunlight and critter activity outside. Be sure to choose a window that gets plenty of light during the day and provides a look out at greenery and wildlife. Many cat owners even place their perch in a window that looks out at a bird feeder so their cat can watch birds coming to feed.
Other Cat Window Perches and Window Beds We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other cat window perches. Even though they didn’t make our five best cat window perches list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your pet. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
The YIAN BABY hammock features a padded cover made of elastic Lycra cloth. Due to the air permeability of the material, your cat’s body temperature won’t overheat in the warmer months.
- Sleeping surface measures 23 inches by 12 inches
- Supported by industrial strength suction cups and high-grade oxford cloth cables
- Holds up to 35 pounds
The Foam Cushion Deluxe easily attaches to your windowsill with two support brackets and two Velcro fasteners. The soft fleece cover is removable and washable.
- High-quality foam is comfortable for your pet
- Two support brackets keep the perch in place
- Measures 23.75 inches long and 12 inches deep
The BobbyPet features a unique breathable cover. It has two vacuum suction cups with double pads at the top and two blue matter surface suction cups at the bottom.
- Heavy-duty metal frame
- Can be folded down to close the blinds when needed
- Can hold up to 100 pounds
The Ultimate Cat Perch features a unique design without wires or cables for your cat to get caught in. It is supported with suction cups and two high-quality tubes underneath.
- The hammock is made with high-quality outdoor furniture fabric that’s tight fitting to prevent sagging
- Holds up to 80 pounds
- For windows at least 24 inches wide
The MoMaek cat bed features a stretchy cloth material supported by a PVC pipe frame. The heavy-duty suction cups can hold up to 50 pounds.
- Measures 21.65 inches by 13.77 inches
- Can hold up to 50 pounds
- Includes four heavy-duty suction cups
The Jingstyle window perch features a heavy-duty durable fabric hammock and PVC pipe frame. The perch is supported by four heavy-duty suction cups.
- Large size measures 28.5 inches in length and 15 inches in width
- Holds up to 50 pounds or two cats
- Durable fabric cover is both removable and washable
The PUPTECK window perch features a washable black cotton ramie fabric that snaps on and off for easy cleaning. The frame is constructed of high-quality PVC pipe and fittings.
- Holds one cat at a time
- Measures 19 inches by 13 inches
- Mounts to windows using four industrial-strength suction cups
The CO-Z Kitty window perch features a sturdy steel frame and a ventilated plush cushion. It is held up by four giant suction cups
- Holds up to 88 pounds
- Cushion measures 23 inches by 13 inches
- Removable and washable plush cushion that cats love
The K&H Pet Products Cat Scratcher features a unique cardboard cat scratcher as a hammock. Your kitty can scratch, play, and sleep in this one-stop entertainment center.
- Comes with a cardboard cat scratcher refill
- Holds up to 60 pounds
- Cat scratcher and window perch all in one
The Furry Buddy perch features a food-grade texteline fabric that is UV resistant, chew-proof, and extremely durable covered with a removable ultra-soft plush mat for comfort.
- Holds up to 60 pounds
- The frame is constructed with 1-inch heavy-duty plastic piping and fittings
- Comes with a lifetime warranty as to defects in material and workmanship
The Monkeen window perch features a unique hammock made from parachute material and polyester. The frame is constructed with PVC and polyester tubes, with two weather-resistant ropes.
- Holds up to 60 pounds
- Comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Easy to wash and clean
The PAW window perch features a hammock made of tough, weather-resistant fabric. The frame is made of PVC piping and is held up by four industrial-strength suction cups.
- Holds up to 50 pounds
- Measures 26.4 inches by 15.7 inches
- For windows at least 27 inches wide
The M-Aimee Sunny Seat features a hammock-style cat perch that is supported by four suction cups. No tools are required to install.
- Holds up to 50 pounds
- Measures 21.6 inches by 13.7 inches
- The durable fabric cover is removable and machine washable
The Deici Co. window perch features an indoor/outdoor heavy-duty fabric that gives your cat more relaxing comfort and support in the warm sun. The perch is supported by four heavy-duty suction cups.
- Holds up to 60 pounds
- Well-ventilated fabric so your cat doesn’t overheat in the warmer months
- Easily mounts to almost any window
The S&T Premium cat perch features extra-firm, tear-proof, and easy-to-clean plastic mesh fabric. The enhanced 3.5-inch super strong suction cups last much longer than regular suction cups so you don’t have to worry about them losing suction.
- Thick PVC frame makes the perch strong and sturdy enough for multiple cats
- Holds up to 60 pounds
- Measures 26 inches by 15 inches
The K&H Pet Products Kitty Sill features two levels of fun and can hold up to 100 pounds. It has a sturdy steel frame and a removable washable cover.
- Holds over 100 pounds
- Hangs by unique “push ‘n’ turn” suction cups
- Can fold up to allow blinds to close when needed
The L.S. 2018 window perch features unique nut suction cups, which are three times as stable as regular transparent suction cups. The two-story perch can hold up to 60 pounds.
- Solid metal frame with removable plush mattress, easy to machine wash
- Adjustable height in between the two levels
- 18-month warranty
The BobbyPet Big Cat perch is a box-style perch that can support multiple cats at once. In fact, it can hold up to 100 pounds.
- Heavy-duty metal frame and six industrial strength suction cups
- Two levels for use by multiple cats
- No tools required for installation
The K&H Pet Products Window PPod is a fully enclosed retreat for your kitty. The pod can be mounted with the exit and entry on either the left or right for easy access.
- “Amazin kitty pad” sleeping surface can be removed and washed
- Four heavy-duty suction cups can hold up to 60 pounds
- Provides a 6-inch by 8-inch sleeping surface
The SSZY window perch is a pod-style window perch that is not enclosed. Instead, it features a soft curved bed that measures 5.5″ wide, 25.5″ long and 10″ deep.
- The entire pod is washable
- Made of EVA, eco-friendly non-toxic material
- Holds up to three cats or 60 pounds